The complete Cricket guide as a blog, I try to cover here various interesting cricket related incidents either via images or videos. Any information that you see here will for sure help you develop your passion for cricket. This blog will cover more about various international cricket teams with their facts and statistics.
Subscribe to this blog
Follow by Email
Search This Blog
Modern day - Body line Bowling
Yeah, Every time we hear the term body line bowling, it reminds of the England tactics used against Australia for the Ashes.
History of Body Line Bowling:
England toured Australia in 1932, England were worried because they couldn't get Sir Donald Bradman out, everything they tried, Bradman had the answer too. So the England players devised a tactic in which they would bowl short and aim the bowling at the body of the batsmen, then they would set a field with 5 or 6 men short on the leg-side, they would do this, because when the batsmen had no choice BUT to fend off the short ball (or they would get hit in the head or body), and when they fended off the short ball, the fielders would be ready to take the catch. This tactic worked as England beat Australia. BUT still all the England players were hated in Australia, and the relations between Australia and England worsened.
Bodyline is NOT short pitch bowling, short pitch bowling is called a bouncer !!!!!
In 1935, MCC introduced a new rule, that the on-field umpire can intervene if the bowler is deliberately bowling at the batsman with the intention of causing an injury.
Lets see some of the interesting bowlers of the modern era, trying to bowl a "Bouncer" which can also be sometimes a "Body Line" bowling.
Credits goes to the speedsters like Shoaib Akthar, Brett Lee, James Anderson, who follow this technique consistently.
Lets take a deep breath and listen to the heartbeat of the batsman now..!
• Born in Ranchi, Bihar (now in Jharkhand) to Pan Singh and Devaki Devi on July 7, 1981.
• Sported long hair which he has now shortened, despite the then Pak President Pervez Musharraf wanting him not to do so!. He cut it because he wanted to look like his favourite film star John Abraham.
• Loves bikes. Has a Hummer to add to the four cars and 23 high-speed motorcycles already parked in his garage in Ranchi
• Endorses more than 20 brands form clothes to soft drinks.
• Is one of the highest income tax payers in last year
•Is a fan of Adam Gilchrist. His childhood idols were batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar, Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan and singer Lata Mangeshkar.
• Studied at DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, in Ranchi. (Now the school is known as JVM, Shyamli). Apparently, Sakshi(His wife)studied in the same school too.
• Initially excelled in badminton and football and was selected at district and club level in these sports. Was a goalkeeper for his football …